Greatest bank cards for airport lounge entry for 2023
Airport lounge entry can remodel an in any other case gruelling layover into a calming respite. Relying on the airport and the kind of program you belong to, lounges could provide free snacks and drinks (together with complimentary alcoholic drinks), free Wi-Fi, plentiful comfy seating, devoted work areas, showers, sleep pods and even spa companies. It’s little marvel, then, that for a lot of Canadian frequent fliers, lounge entry is an particularly coveted bank card function. Fortunately, you may select from a strong collection of bank cards that function airport lounge entry applications as a part of their perks.
Observe that solely a choose few playing cards provide limitless lounge entry, whereas others provide a restricted variety of visits per yr. All the playing cards featured under include an annual charge. These charges fluctuate considerably between playing cards, so understanding how a lot you fly in a mean yr, and what different perks you can also make use of, will assist you decide which card provides essentially the most worth.
How we decide the very best playing cards
The MoneySense editorial workforce selects the very best bank cards by assessing the worth they supply to Canadians throughout numerous classes. Our greatest bank cards for airport lounge entry rating is predicated on an in depth listing of card particulars and options—with a deal with people who matter to air travellers—together with the variety of airport lounge visits, annual charges, rates of interest, welcome provides, rewards earn charges and redemption choices, annual revenue necessities and perks. We’ve got additionally thought-about the professionals and cons of every card that can assist you decide which of them greatest fit your monetary wants. Our rankings are an unbiased supply of knowledge for Canadians. The addition of hyperlinks from affiliate companions has no bearing on the outcomes. Learn extra about how MoneySense makes cash.
Greatest total airport lounge entry bank card
At a look: With six complimentary airport lounge visits a yr, the Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card provides essentially the most free visits amongst bank cards in a comparable charge vary. For that purpose alone, the cardboard pays for itself. Including to its travel-friendly attract is the truth that it’s one of many few playing cards in Canada that doesn’t cost a overseas transaction (FX) charge. Different playing cards usually cost 2.5% on purchases made in a overseas forex. It additionally provides aggressive journey insurance coverage protection, together with uncommon resort/motel housebreaking protection. You’ll additionally earn Scene+ factors in your on a regular basis bills. Redeem your factors for journey, together with films, merchandise, present playing cards and extra.
- Annual charge: $150
- Rates of interest: 20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on money advances, 22.99% on steadiness transfers
- Annual revenue requirement: Private revenue of $60,000, family revenue of $100,000
- Welcome bonus: You’ll be able to earn as much as 40,000 bonus Scene+ factors ($400 worth). Provide ends 30 April 2023.
- Rewards: 2 factors per $1 on grocery, leisure, eating and transit/journey; 1 level per $1 on all different purchases
- Perks: No overseas transaction charge; complete journey insurance coverage
- Obtain complimentary Visa Airport Companion Program membership (powered by DragonPass), which incorporates six free lounge visits per yr, essentially the most free visits of any journey bank card in an analogous charge vary.
- No overseas transaction charges on purchases made in non-Canadian forex.
- It’s one of many few playing cards that don’t make you e-book journey by way of a proprietary reserving web site so as to redeem factors. Whilst you can e-book with Scene+ Journey, you may as well e-book journey on-line or with any journey company and nonetheless redeem Scene+ factors to cowl the price of your journey.
- The best earn fee of three Scene+ factors is barely accessible at a couple of grocery retailers.
- No cellular machine insurance coverage protection.
- Scene+ factors have a decrease worth when redeemed for present playing cards or merchandise than when used for grocery purchases and journey.
Greatest luxurious airport lounge entry card
At a look: For Aeroplan factors collectors who need an elevated airport expertise, the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege bank card could be a nice journey companion. It’s full of journey advantages like limitless free entry for you and a visitor to Maple Leaf Lounges all through North America. The cardboard additionally comes with a complimentary membership within the Visa Airport Companion Program hosted by DragonPass and consists of six lounge visits, usable at over 1,200 airport lounges worldwide. You’ll actually really feel like a VIP on the airport with different perks like precedence check-in, boarding and baggage dealing with, and also you’ll get peace of thoughts with an in depth suite of journey insurance coverage. That is additionally one of many few playing cards in Canada that function a companion go.
- Annual charge: $599
- Rates of interest: 20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on steadiness transfers, 22.99% on money advances
- Annual revenue requirement: Private revenue of $150,000 or family revenue of $200,000
- Welcome bonus: Not accessible to show in the intervening time.
- Rewards: 2 Aeroplan factors per $1 spent on direct purchases with Air Canada and Air Canada Holidays, 1.5 Aeroplan factors per $1 spent on eligible gasoline, grocery, journey and eating purchases, 1.25 factors per $1 spent all over the place else
- Different perks: Entry to Maple Leaf Lounges; Nexus charge rebate of $100 each 4 years; precedence check-in; precedence baggage dealing with; precedence boarding; precedence airport standby; precedence upgrades; entry a yearly round-trip companion go from $99 (plus taxes, charges, costs and surcharges)
- Contains limitless entry to Maple Leaf Lounges for you and a visitor and 6 free visits per yr to DragonPass companion lounges.
- Make the most of a Nexus charge rebate of as much as $100 each 4 years.
- Comes full of beneficiant travel-friendly perks like precedence boarding and upgrades, in addition to complete journey insurance coverage and a companion go.
- To qualify, you’ll want a excessive private or family revenue.
- Even for a premium card with tons of perks, the annual charge is excessive, at $599.
- Lots of the journey advantages (like precedence check-in and precedence boarding) solely apply to flights operated by Air Canada.
Greatest airport lounge entry card for frequent travellers
At a look: It’s one of the costly premium bank cards in Canada, however the $699 annual charge will get you entry to essentially the most complete and amenity-laden collection of airport lounges worldwide, together with top-tier American Specific Centurion Lounges. Relying on the lounge, cardholders could have an infinite variety of free visits and can even carry one companion with them at no further price. Cardholders can even make the most of a yearly $200 journey credit score, which primarily brings the price of the cardboard all the way down to $499 so long as you make a degree of utilizing the credit score. Each 4 years, you’ll additionally get a $100 credit score in the direction of a Nexus membership charge. Further perks like late check-out and each day complimentary breakfast at choose inns, in addition to journey insurance coverage and upgraded resort membership standing with manufacturers like Marriott Bonvoy, spherical out this prime journey bank card.
- Annual charge: $699
- Rates of interest: N/A
- Annual revenue requirement: None
- Welcome bonus: You’ll be able to earn as much as 80,000 rewards factors ($800 worth).
- Rewards: 3 factors per $1 spent on eating and meals supply; 2 factors per $1 spent on journey; 1 level per $1 on all the things else
- Perks: Precedence Go and American Specific Centurion Lounge entry; Toronto Pearson Airport precedence lane; resort standing at choose manufacturers; premium medical, flight delay/cancellation and baggage insurance coverage
- The cardboard offers you entry to The American Specific World Lounge Assortment, which is the most important airport lounge assortment accessible, that includes greater than 1,300 lounges in over 140 nations. Lounges embody American Specific Centurion Lounges, Plaza Premium and Delta Sky lounges.
- Get a $200 credit score that may be redeemed in the direction of a journey buy made through American Specific Journey On-line.
- When staying at eligible High quality Inns + Resorts, get pleasure from extras like assured late check-out and complimentary each day breakfast for 2.
- Comes with one of many highest annual charges in Canada.
- The journey medical insurance coverage is considerably lacklustre for such a excessive annual charge—it solely covers you for as much as 15 consecutive days (different playing cards provide 20 days or extra) and doesn’t provide any insurance coverage to those that are 65 or older.
- American Specific isn’t as extensively accepted by retailers in Canada as Visa and Mastercard.
Greatest airport lounge entry card for infrequent journey
At a look: If you end up in an airport even only a few instances a yr, you’ll admire that the BMO Ascend World Elite Mastercard provides free membership within the Mastercard Journey Go program offered by DragonPass, plus 4 free passes a yr. BMO additionally has one of the versatile redemption applications within the nation, so you may redeem your factors to cowl eligible journey purchases like flights, inns and automotive leases it doesn’t matter what journey supplier you booked with. Or when you’re not travelling a lot in a given yr, you may even put your factors in the direction of a contribution to a BMO financial savings or funding account. The cardboard additionally comes with journey insurance coverage, together with journey medical insurance coverage that may cowl you, your partner or youngsters for as much as 21 days.
- Annual charge: $150
- Rates of interest: 20.99% on purchases, 23.99% on money advances, 22.99% on steadiness transfers
- Annual revenue requirement: Private revenue of $80,000 or family revenue of $150,000
- Welcome bonus: You’ll be able to earn as much as 70,000 factors and the annual charge waived within the first yr for each the first cardholder and licensed customers.
- Rewards: 5 factors per $1 spend on journey, 3 factors per $1 on eating and leisure, 1 level per $1 on all the things else
- Perks: Entry to over a million Wi-Fi hotspots all around the world; BMO concierge service; prolonged guarantee; buy safety; and BMO World Elite journey and medical safety
- Comes with free membership within the Mastercard Journey Go program offered by DragonPass, in addition to 4 free passes a yr.
- Stable collection of journey insurance coverage that features journey medical, journey cancellation/journey interruption insurance coverage, and delayed and misplaced baggage insurance coverage.
- BMO Rewards has one of the versatile redemption applications within the nation, and you may redeem factors for journey purchases with out shopping for from a particular supplier.
- Factors are sharply lowered in worth if redeemed for present playing cards, merchandise and monetary merchandise (like a contribution to a BMO financial savings or funding account).
- To qualify, you’ll want an annual private revenue of $80,000 or a family revenue of $150,000.
- Prices a 2.5% overseas transaction charge for all purchases made in a overseas forex.
Greatest airport lounge entry card for travelling to the U.S.
CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite
At a look: If you happen to steadily cross the border to the U.S. for holidays, work journeys or household visits, take into account the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite. The cardboard consists of membership within the Visa Airport Companion Program and in addition offers you 4 free lounge visits a yr. Each 4 years, you get a press release credit score of as much as $100 in the direction of a Nexus utility charge. The cardboard additionally comes with an in depth suite of journey insurance coverage, together with out-of-province emergency journey medical, in addition to the hard-to-find resort housebreaking and cellular machine insurance coverage. Aventura is a reasonably versatile rewards program that allows you to redeem factors for quite a lot of issues, together with journey bookings, merchandise, bank card funds, contributions to a financial savings or funding account and even funds in the direction of your CIBC mortgage.
- Annual charge: $139
- Rates of interest: 20.99% on purchases, 22.99% on money advances, 22.99% on steadiness transfers
- Annual revenue requirement: Private revenue of $60,000 or family revenue of $100,000
- Welcome bonus: You’ll be able to earn $1,250 in worth.
- Rewards: 2 factors per $1 spent on journey by way of the CIBC Rewards Centre; 1.5 factors per $1 on gasoline, groceries and drugstores; 1 level per $1 on all the things else
- Perks: Visa Airport Companion Program membership with 4 lounge visits a yr; Nexus card charge rebate ($100 worth, each 4 years); out-of-province emergency journey medical insurance coverage; flight delay and baggage insurance coverage; buy safety and cellular machine insurance coverage; use Journie awards to avoid wasting on gasoline
- Features a free membership to the Visa Airport Companion Program managed by DragonPass, in addition to 4 free lounge visits per yr.
- Versatile rewards program that means that you can redeem factors for journey, merchandise, present playing cards, mortgage funds and extra.
- Save as much as 10 cents/litre on gasoline at eligible gasoline stations when you hyperlink your card with Journie Rewards, a loyalty program that helps you earn factors at Pioneer, Fasgas, Ultramar and Chevron gasoline stations.
- To get the very best earn fee of two factors for each $1 spent, you have to make a journey buy through the CIBC Rewards Centre.
- The worth of factors decreases after they’re not used for journey.
- There may be an $80,000 cap on the 1.5-point earn fee, after which you’ll solely get 1 level per $1 spent on groceries, gasoline and drugstore purchases.
Airport lounge entry applications in Canada
|Program||Key particulars||Variety of lounges|
|DragonPass||In 2022, DragonPass took over the airport lounge applications for Visa and Mastercard; in Canada, the applications at the moment are respectively referred to as the Visa Airport Companion Program and Mastercard Journey Go offered by DragonPass. This system consists of entry to Plaza Premium lounges in Canada, in addition to a whole lot of various lounge applications worldwide. Lounges function snacks and drinks, free Wi-Fi, showers and enterprise centres. Cardholders can normally use their free passes for themselves and for a visitor, however particular guidelines fluctuate by lounge.||Greater than 1,200 worldwide|
|Maple Leaf Lounges||Facilities embody cell-free quiet zones, snacks and drinks, free Wi-Fi and showers. Maple Leaf Lounges can solely be utilized by clients departing on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge, Air Canada Specific or a Star Alliance companion airline.||16 throughout North America and Europe|
|Centurion Lounges||Centurion Lounges usually function high-quality meals (designed by award-winning cooks) and drinks (and should even function a signature cocktail), free high-speed Wi-Fi, plush seating and devoted working areas. Some function elevated facilities like spa companies, nap pods and showers. Centurion Lounges are sometimes a part of The American Specific World Lounge Assortment that options greater than 1,300 airport lounges in over 140 nations.||Greater than 40 worldwide|